Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Practicum

You know those cartoon characters that shake their head after being hit with a mallet with stars and squiggles making them all dazed and confused? That's what I felt like Saturday morning waking up and realizing that yes indeed, it is December.

Nonetheless, this past week and this coming week are a little different. We've finished up classes, are done journaling for obscene amounts everyday, and can see the light at the end of the tunnel - or whatever analogy you prefer for eminent endings.

These two weeks are devoted to a time called Practicum. It's unique to the Honduras program and a great experience. Throughout the semester we've studied topics, done visits, and talked to people in the development field. When one of these trips our trigger we (hopefully) get to see in it action for two weeks. Kurt and Jo Ann arrange for us to have quasi-internships for two weeks to see what people are doing in our areas of interest.

About a week before we were supposed to be heading out, our class took a trip to Tegu toys. A company that manufactures high quality wooden blocks with magnets inside (read: hours of blissful entertainment). We got a tour around the factory and chatted with co-owner, Chris about using business as a tool of development.

This tripped my trigger. Sparked my interest. Tickled my fancy. You get the picture.

Now, I am spending my Practicum time with the lovely people of Tegu and am learning a whole lot. I get to use some knowledge and experience gained from my internship and am talking to the workers on their lives and how Tegu has impacted them. It's also a tool to see how personal future endeavors could be taken on our respective fields of interest.

(Please excuse this shameless plug, but indeed, I must.) They're super fun toys and there are some in the office that I play with during lunch break. If they can entertain a twenty year old with a divergent mind, then I'm sure they will with a child of the same mindset. Check out their site to learn more about their mission and the products.

Side note: I am currently working my way through John Adam's biography by David McCullough and a Josiah Bartlett was mentioned. I then proceed to yelp when I made the connection of "That's President Bartlett's relative in the West Wing! They really didn't make that guy up."

I hope everyone had a splendid Thanksgiving filled with hearty meals, lively discussion, and beloved others. Ours was celebrated on Saturday with all the fixin's and a joyous time was had by all.

Take care, All.

No comments:

Post a Comment